It is a “painfully slow” process when you open a Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files directly through your browser on a Windows and Mac. Unless, of course if you are already using a Chromebook. Luckily, Google announced incorporating Chrome Office Viewer in Mac and Windows. The said feature used to be available only in Chromebook.
How does the Chrome Office Viewer help?
• The add on provided by Google allows users to view Excel Spreadsheet, Microsoft Office Document and Power Point Presentations such as DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, and PPTX within the Chrome browser without downloading it. It is still in beta and thus it allows only viewing and not editing of the files. The user must be using Windows or OS X versions of Chrome 27.
• The files can be opened through clicking on a link or documents that has already been stored previously in any device. The viewing area will look like when you are opening a PDF using the Chrome PDF viewer and with menu options for zoom, save, and print controls.
• The Chrome Office Viewer beta is free for now from the Chrome Web Store. However, when it will be polished with functionality, Google may charge it. Perhaps, it will allow creation and editing of Microsoft Office Documents.
• The extension can also add security. It will protect you from Malware that is delivered though office files. It has specialized sandbox that will stop attackers from compromising and stealing information from you. Malwares can be sent through files that are downloaded. Once the Malware has intruded your computer system, it will create havoc on the system and that your activities can be monitored.
You may have tried the extension and you could probably encounter the following:
• Images in the Word may be inefficient. Images may not show up even if it actually shows up well in Word 2013.
• Excel Spreadsheet viewed can’t show numbers in superscript. All numbers will be converted to regular numbers.
• Even in power point, you can expect that you will have to manually advance the next slide.
• When the document is set to be automatically downloaded, the Chrome Office Viewer does not stop it for you to view it in the browser. You have to separately open a desktop program to view it.
There can be lots of short comings with the Chrome Office Viewer as it is still set to beta. However, Google is well aware of that. Sooner or later Google will fix the issue that’s why every document view includes “Report a problem” link. If there is anything you wish to tell Google about it, you are welcome to do so.
Follow these steps to try it out:
It is pretty easy, right? Now, it will be easier and safer for you to browse your files within Chrome. Just wait for the time that it will be polished to allow the creation and editing of your documents. As an SEO professional , it will be a lot easier to perform some task using the Chrome Office Viewer. Your needed documents can be easily viewed with Chrome. No need for downloading it and the security against Malware that it can provide simply makes the job a lot easier and safer.
Thoughts? Please share it below.